Qualcomm Technologies Inc. have had a rather fruitful 2017 so far. The company was involved in many avenues all throughout the year. In January, the company had revealed the Snapdragon 835 processor, aimed at mobile VR and AR. Qualcomm has now announced the introduction of a new mobile platform, the Snapdragon 845.
Utilizing Qualcomm Technologies’ industry experience, Snapdragon 845 is a platform designed for immersive multimedia experiences. This includes eXtended reality (XR), on-device artificial intelligence (AI), lightning-fast connectivity and more. With the introduction of an integrated Qualcomm Spectra 280 image signal processor (ISP) and Qualcomm Adreno 630 visual processing subsystem, the Snapdragon 845 will bring high-performance, cinematic video capture and photography to mobile devices. Furthermore, the lightning-fast connection speed of the Snapdragon 845 lets users enjoy seamless immersive XR experiences.
“As leaders in mobile technology, we will transform the mobile experience with comprehensive advancements in visual processing, AI, security and connectivity. The Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform is the next horizon of innovation and is going to transform the way people use their mobile devices to make their lives better,” says Alex Katouzian, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Mobile, Qualcomm.
The Snapdragon 845 is Qualcomm Technologies’ third-generation AI mobile platform. The new technologies bring threefold improvement in overall AI performance of the prior generation system-on-chip (SoC). This will transform the new generation mobile devices into ultimate personal assistant.
With everything getting digital, security is also something that needs evolution. Keeping that in mind, Qualcomm has introduced a hardware isolated subsystem called the secure processing unit (SPU) in the Snapdragon 845. The SPU is designed for improved biometrics security used for authentication.
Qualcomm Spectra 280 ISP
- Ultra HD Capture
- Depth Sensor
- Motion-compensated temporal filtering (MCTF) video capture
- Noise reductio
- Slow motion video capture
Adreno 630 Visual Processing Subsystem
- Improved graphics
- Faster display
- Improved depth of field (DoF) with hand-tracking and controller support
- Adreno foveation, featuring tile rendering, eye tracking, multiView rendering, fine grain preemption
Qualcomm® Hexagon™ 685 DSP
- Hexagon Vector digital signal processor (DSP) for AI and imaging
- Hexagon scalar DSP for audio
Snapdragon X20 LTE Modem
- Support for 1.2 Gbps Gigabit LTE Category 18
- Dual SIM-Dual VoLTE
- Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS) shared radio spectrum
- Multigigabit 11ad Wi-Fi
- Integrated 2×2 11ac Wi-Fi with Dual Band Simultaneous (DBS) support
- Bluetooth 5 with proprietary enhancements
Secure Processing Unit
- Biometric authentication
- Data protection
- Integrated use-cases such as integrated SIM, Payments, and more
The Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform is expected to begin shipping in commercial devices in early 2018. Snapdragon 845 will power devices such as smartphones, XR headsets and always connected PCs.