A couple of weeks ago, we reported on a new phenomenon on Samsung Smart TVs called T-commerce (E-commerce on Television) that had gained popularity in Portugal. The service was started by a company called Yubuy which let users shop from a wider variety of online stores right from their TV and even process the payments on the TV itself.
Now, Samsung has launched an official T-commerce service of its own which lets users checkout after subscribing for paid content based services available on Samsung Smart TVs. The company is currently rolling out the feature to 64 countries where it sells its Televisions. Some of the digital content providers that are accepting Samsung’s new mode of checkout include-
- HBO NOW (available in the U.S.): Subscription Video on Demand (SVoD)
- STARZ app (available in the U.S.): Subscription Video on Demand (SVoD)
- Gamefly Streaming (available in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil and EU countries): Monthly subscription high-end game packages such as Family Pack, Gamer Pack and Disney Pack.
- TV Plus (available in the U.S. and EU countries): Transaction Video on Demand (VoD)
- Frame TV Art Store: Monthly subscription as well as separate sales
At Checkout Samsung, lets you choose from a wide range of payments option such as credit cards, and in some regions you can even use mobile carriers and PayPal. Users will need to go through a one time setup to register their cards or paypal accounts on their TVs and authenticate them with a 4 digit pin. Now, when you head to check out and pay for the content, all you have to do is enter that PIN from the TV remote and transaction gets processed. it is currently not clear if this is a new mode of Samsung Pay service, but we might get more details about it in the coming days.