Today, the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier smartwatch has received a fairly substantial firmware/software update, taking it to version BQC5 / R760XXUZBQC5. So far this software has been spotted in Germany and the UK. The download is almost 130MB in size and for a change, we have quite a detailed changelog for you. The Tizen OS version is 22.214.171.124.
The Gear S3 update brings improvements to Samsung Health with Customizable pace-coaching feature and HR Zone information that runners might find especially useful. News briefing app has had the UI improved with the ability to be able to read the news better by using the widget. Text-To-Speech (TTS) feature has been added to the input menu with the feature of downloading additional languages. Improvements to iOS support with bug fixes and UX enhancements. Samsung Gear, you can now Auto Switch between the Gear device being worn to the paired smartphone. Lots of other Improvements as you can see below.
- Watch faces – For select watch faces you have the ability to add new Date and Music.
- Alti-Barometer – Altitude auto refresh feature has been added.
- Samsung Health – Customizable pace-coaching feature and HR Zone information for Running have been added.
- S Voice – You can now set a date and time when creating a Reminder.
- News Briefing – With the improved UI, you can read the news more conveniently via the widget.
- Settings – A TTS option has been added to the Input menu. (Additional languages are available to download)
- Find My Device – A new feature to display your contact information on your Gear if it gets lost has been added.
- Accessibility – New features have been added to Direct access menu including Screen Reader, Accessibility, Dark screen, Greyscale, and Negative colours.
- iOS Support – UX enhancements and bug fixes (S Voice recognition rate, Connection Stability and Music Transfer from PC.)
- Samsung Gear – An Auto Switch feature has been added that supports Gear S3,S2 and Fit2, which automatically connects the Gear device being worn to the paired smartphone.
- Stop Watch – Max time increased to 3 hours.
- Samsung Internet for Gear Browse the internet with you Gear (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube)
- New Partner Apps available for download in Galaxy Apps Store.
Spotify – A global music streaming service
BMW Connected – The BMW ConnectedDrive service for controlling a BMW vehicle
Gear for Nest – The Nest Thermostat controller
Facer – Over 15,000 premium watch faces available
NYC Transit – Real-time New York City public transit information
HereWeGo – Turn-by-turn navigation and public transit information
– App availability may vary by region.
If you have not been prompted to update then you can start the update manually by following the steps below:-
- Launch Samsung Gear Manager App
- Select About Gear
- Select Update Gear Software
- Select Download updates manually
- If an update is available it will start downloading and then give you the option to Install now or do it later.
Let us know in the comments if you have spotted it / downloaded in your country as well.