As many thought Nokia in Singapore today Announced the Nokia N9, a brilliant looking smartphone with a simple intuitive interface. Its all about Swiping … Swipes from the outside of the screen.
… use apps, get notifications and switch between different activities. Navigating the UI is done with a simple gesture, a swipe of a finger…
This is Nokia’s Marko Ahtisaari, SVP Design and User Experience, announcing the Nokia N9 and talking about the design:
Quick Video to get the mouth watering:
- Bold all-screen design
- Body made of one piece with smooth shapes
- Maximum screen for the product size
- Vivid 3.9” AMOLED screen brings brilliant colors and content right to the surface
- Range of beautiful colors: black, magenta, cyanSimply ingenious: everything a swipe away
- The finger moves smoothly along the curved glass and curved shape of the device
- Hardware and software were jointly designed to ensure that they fit together seamlessly
- A simple swipe in any application takes you back to the home viewThree home views and live multitasking
- Each designed for a specific purpose
- Applications – start tasks quickly
- Open Applications – see all your running apps and multitask between them
- Events – your people, news and events in
- Networks: Pentaband WCDMA 850, 900, 1900, 1700, 2100, Quad band GSM/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- Speed: HSDPA Cat10: 14.4Mbps, HSUPA: Cat6 5.76Mbps
- Display: 3.9” WVGA (854×480) AMOLED display with curved Gorilla glassTM, no air gap, anti-glare polarizer
- OS: MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan• Memory: 1024MB RAM, 16GB/64GB storage
- Camera: 8Mpix auto-focus Carl Zeiss, wide-angle lens, 2x LED flash, Video capturing MPEG-4 SP 720p @ 30fps, 2nd camera for video calls
- Size / Weight: 116.45 mm x 61.2 mm x 7.6–12.1 mm (L x W x T) / 76 cm3/ 135 g
- Connectivity: BT 2.1, GPS, A-GPS, WLAN 802.11abgn, NFC, 3.5mm AV connector, micro USB connector, USB charging
- Processor: ARM Cortex-A8 OMAP3630 1 Ghz, PowerVR SGX530
- Audio: MP3 player, Audio jack: 3.5mm, Supported codecs: mp3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, FLAC.
- Battery: 1450 mAh
Additional FeaturesExcellent camera
- 8MP autofocus camera with high performance Carl Zeiss optics
- Touch to focus, shoot quickly and move smoothly between stills, video and gallery
- Capture more with wide-angle lens and true 16:9 imaging
- Great low light performance with large lens aperture (f/2.2) and dual LED flash
- Easy sharing to internet services and via NFC to the people close to youFree maps and navigation
- Free turn-by-turn drive and walk navigation with voice guidance
- The dedicated Drive app is optimized for in-car use
- Maps are displayed in high resolution on the 3.9” AMOLED display
- Public transport routingFast web browsing
- High responsiveness through latest mobile browser technology (Webkit2)
- Multiple websites can be conveniently viewed in Open Applications
- Wide HTML5 support offers access to rich web applications and fast video playback
The Nokia N9 smartphone is based on MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan and is a Qt-based phone, available in 16Gb and 64Gb versions. More Information will be uploaded as we have it. Some of the features of the new phone are:
The team behind the MeeGo-based Nokia N9 brought together elements of industrial design, software development and user interface advancements, as well as a developer platform to create a better way to use a phone. All that’s needed to use the Nokia N9 is a simple gesture, a swipe of the finger. It is an intuitive way to use all the different features and functions. Whenever you are in an application, you just swipe from the edge of the screen to go back home.
The Nokia N9 has a beautiful one-piece, unibody design where the hardware and software fit together seamlessly. The large, 3.9 inch curved glass AMOLED display lets the applications shine and take full benefit of the user interface. Thanks to the innovative laminated display technology, it looks like applications are literally floating on top of the screen. The body of the Nokia N9 is made from the best in polycarbonate material engineering today, enabling superior antenna performance over most other competitors’ smartphones. This means better reception, better voice quality and fewer dropped calls. The Nokia N9 comes in three colours: black, cyan and magenta and with large storage capacities of 16GB and 64GB on the two variants to be made available.
The Nokia N9 is the world’s first pure touch screen phone without any front-facing buttons at all. You unlock the phone by just double-tapping the screen.
THREE HOME VIEWS
The user interface in Nokia N9 is designed around the things people typically use the most. This is why there are three recognizable home views arranged in a carousel: 1) Applications for launching and organizing your apps. 2) Events for social networking feeds and notifications for calls, texts, calendar events, etc. 3) Open applications for switching between all live apps you have used recently. You can pinch and zoom the screen to see either four or nine open app icons. In fact, the Nokia N9 delivers the best multitasking experience on any phone!
The 8MP auto focus camera with Carl Zeiss optics, dual LED flash and super wide 28mm lens works faster from start to capture than any other manufacturer’s smartphone camera in the market. HD video and true 16:9 resolution photos are supported. You can share your photos via MMS, email, NFC and many online services including Flickr and Facebook.
FAST WEB BROWSER
The fast web browser is built on the latest Webkit 2 technology. Even while loading a web page, the screen remains responsive. You can have several browser windows open in the open applications view and switching between them is, again, fast and easy. Favourite websites are shown as visual thumbnails, supported by a full browsing history. Wide HTML5 support offers access to rich web applications and fast video playback.
The Nokia N9 has the latest Nokia Maps with free, voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation for walking and driving. There is also a dedicated Drive app for in-car navigation, which lets you start navigating to your destination instantly after entering your destination. Public transport routing in 85 cities means you can find the quickest route on foot or by tram, metro or train. You can also discover nearby places with cafés, shops, hotels and more, all marked along the way.
Dolby Headphone and Dolby Digital Plus support on the Nokia N9 turns regular stereo audio into personal surround sound on any headphones – first on any mobile phone.
Pairing between NFC-enabled accessories is easier than ever before – you do Bluetooth pairing only once and after that you can connect to them just by touching. You can also share content like photos or business cards via NFC.